Monday, October 20, 2008

Celebrity (sort of) Sighting...

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd give you a quick update on our trip so far...(for those who don't know, we are on vacation to Vancouver and Hawaii!) While in Vancouver, we saw Marc Crawford the NHL coach at the airport. I know, I know...BIG DEAL... I guess you hockey fans out there might appreciate this :-)

Anyhow, while we were sitting in the plane (West Jet) waiting to go to Hawaii, the crew was going through the usual preflight announcement. As they were wrapping up, the man sitting next to me got up, went to the front, and the crew handed him the mic. I thought, "Hm...this is interesting..." I thought he must be a doctor or something...

Then he said, "Hello everyone, My name is Sean Durfy, President and CEO of WestJet, and I will be flying with all of you this evening to Honolulu. Just wanted to say hello and thank you all for flying WestJet."

I was sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for him to say, "As a token of appreciation for all you choosing us, I would like to announce that all of you are flying for free on this flight. It will be my small personal gift to you!" No such luck (sigh).

He was actually a very down to earth kind of guy...he flew economy with the rest of us (well, actually I am not sure if there was a business class on that flight), and he was really friendly with the flight crew. Since I was sitting next to him, I got to listen as he chatted with each flight attendent about his or her job. Apparently WestJet is the only airline in the world that is growing, and they had just ordered 40 more new planes!

Anyways, just thought I'd pass along a couple of cool encounters :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will enjoy the scenery in Honolulu. I was there about 14 years ago. On one of the islands, someone said that you can reach a beach in any direction within 15 minutes (I don't remember the name of the island).

Beach is surrounding us and then the ocean is surrounding the beaches. No matter which way we go, we will reach the beach, we will reach the ocean. But, we must be willing to take those 15 minutes or less walk.

A beach is there waiting for us as long as we are willing to stand up and take the walk. The beach will not move but we need to move. Once we are willing to move, we will enjoy the beautiful beach and the nice ocean view.

Let's start walking!

Anonymous said...

so u had a marc crawford sighting!?! was his hair as perfect as people claimed it is - haha. i actually saw pedro martinez on bloor st couple of yrs ago ... he didnt even say hi ... what a snob! anyways, hope u have fun in hawaii and lay off the lualls! take care & we'll chat another time.