Monday, November 10, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie

Last Friday we went with a few friends to see the play "Tuesdays with Morrie", based on the book by Mitch Albom.  The play consisted of a series of conversations between Mitch and his old college professor, Dr. Morrie Schwartz.  The visits always took place on Tuesdays, thus the name of the book.

When Mitch graduated from college, he promised to keep in touch with his favorite professor (Morrie Schwartz), whom he affectionately called "Coach".  But after he left school, life took over busy and it was 16 years later when he by chance found out that Morrie was slowly dying of Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS).  He decided to go back to Boston to visit Morrie.  What was intended as a one time visit turned into a weekly mentoring session between teacher and pupil.   During those visits, they talked about life, love, work, happiness, forgiveness, music, dancing, egg salad, and just about everything else.  Sometimes the dialogue leaves you laughing, sometimes in tears, but always in thought.

Partly because of what I have gone through in the last year, I found myself deeply resonnating with the message of the play.  "Tuesdays with Morrie" is about teaching and learning.  At first glance it may appear that Morrie was the "teacher" and Mitch was the "student".  But in reality, they are both "students", and life itself was the teacher.

This past year has seen me take apart everything I thought to be "true" in my faith and, in a real way, start from the beginning again.  Through this process, I have come to see a fundamental flaw in ways we approach "faith development" or "Christian Education" in the church:

In the church, faith education, or Christian education is done "incrementally". In other words, you teach something today, and what you teach tomorrow is based on what you have taught yesterday.  You keep building on previous "layers".  This way of learning encourages confidence on what was learned before, as it forms the "foundation" for new learning.  For the most part, this is how we learn things like Science or Mathematics.  For instance, in math, you first learn addition, and then with that as a foundation, you learn multiplication.  

But there is a different way to learn.   Sometimes new things are learned from completely tearing down old learnings and starting fresh again.  For example, when engineers design a car, they build a prototype, they push it to failure, break it down, and then start fresh again to build a better prototype.   Rather than encouraging unquestioned confidence in what was learned before, this way of learning assumes flaws in previous thoughts and ideas.  It seeks to expose them, and then start again.

It seems to me that faith is taught/learned/developed this way.  Faith development needs to begin with an assumption that there are flaws in our understanding.   Rather than blindly holding on what was learned before, faith developes when our previously held ideas are shattered, and we are forced to start over again.   In other words, faith is developed not by discovering how right we were, but by being confronted with how wrong we have been.  For biblical examples, think of Paul, or Peter.

For me, Tuesdays with Morrie reminded me again that the key to unlock this way of learning is humility.  If one needs evidence to show that our ways of "Christian Education" is not working, one needs to look no further than the abundance of arrogance in the church today.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alfred,
You can be stronger than you are. I can see the change, I can see the progress. What you need is a bigger step, a small breakthrough....good to read your sharings all along. Remembering you all along. Keep going. I will continue to read and please continue to write but before that, continue to change, change in the right direction. No matter it is a small step or a big step, keep moving.
I learned about Energy Transformation in church growth, it is about changing negative energy into positive energy, think about it.

annfoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annfoo said...

Dear Alfred Lam,
I wrote a comment before but deleted it.Don't know why, I guess I am afraid to say things. Ken and I met you at our church retreat 2 years ago. We are not there anymore since this month. I didn't know that a church can hurt us so hard until we experienced it. I found comfort reading your blog entries. Thank you. Please continue to share your life here. It is encouraging for us. Thanks again.
ann

阿Lam - A Messenger said...

Bill, thank you, as usual for your words of encouragement. Your continuous support means a lot to me.

Ann, I had a chance to read your previous comment. First of all, thank you for your kind words. I remember you and Ken. Even though I don't know the circumstances surrounding your leaving, please believe me when I say my heart aches for you two. You mentioned that it happened earlier this month, that means you are at the beginning stages of a long and potentially painful journey; one that we have been on for more than a year now. I don't have much I can offer, but please feel free to contact me by email if there is anything you feel I can help with. Please take good care of yourselves and give Ken a hug for me.

A

annfoo said...

Thanks Alfred,
Ken actually told me that he wanted to contact you, even before, but did not know if it was the right time. He really would love to talk to you. Thank you.
You and your family are a good witness for young pastor family like ours and we thank God for you all. Just looking at your pictures we are thankful. talk to you soon.
ann

Anonymous said...

"If one needs evidence to show that our ways of "Christian Education" is not working, one needs to look no further than the abundance of arrogance in the church today."

Wow...Arrogance! Eh!

阿Lam - A Messenger said...

Dear Anonymous:

I am not sure how to interpret your comment. If I understand it correctly, I _think_ you are suggesting that it was arrogant of me to point out the arrogance that exists in the church today. If I have misunderstood you, please correct me by posting a further comment.

One problem with blogging as a form of "communication" is that often times words are read and interpreted without context or at least further explanation. From reading your comment, I cannot tell whether you believe (a) arrogance does not exist in the church today as I claimed, or (b) it does exist, but I have no place or right to point it out or speak to it. In either case, you are of course entitled to your beliefs, and it is neither my place nor my intention to argue with you.

However, IF you had intended to say it is always arrogant to point out arrogance in others, then I must respectfully disagree with you.

I believe the key here is one's posture and attitude. When I pointed out the arrogance that exist in the church today, I did so as one who was part of the problem (sometimes not knowingly). I am saddened to see it and I am regretful for the ways I had contributed to it. My experiences in the church during the last few years have enabled me to see it more clearly. After giving most of my adult life to serving the church, I have seen how our own arrogance had prevented us from being what we are supposed to be: a channel through which the world will be blessed. When I write about the arrogance in the church, it is with a voice of lament rather than a spirit of arrogance.

As usual, thank you for taking time to comment. All the best.

A

Anonymous said...

In response to Anonymous and Alfred's response, I would add that it is the ignorance of the church that resulted in the arrogance of the church.

It is sad to say that the church didn't even realize how deep we are in the trouble that we are in today. That is indeed very dangerous.

As I visited many churches, eventhough it is limited, but I still can tell the situation is getting worse, the health of churches is deteriorating. And, the worst part is they don't even realized!

Many churches are still building churches but they are only building church buildings and not churches. So many churches splitted as a result of church building projects, isn't that sad?

Church is a serious matter and we need serious people to deal with it!

I am sorry that I react so strongly but isn't that true?

Just a comment and reflection. By the way, I don't think Anonymous is saying that Alfred is arrogant at all.

Anonymous said...

Bill, Alfred:

You and I can stand on the outside and continue to comment on the status of the church today; and I am not denying it, or roll up your sleeves and get in. By the grace of God, not by your own strength & opinion, allow God to work through you and me.

Why not start today by asking the Lord how rather than asking, commenting, etc.

Let's do it together.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
I am not commenting about churches outside of churches but rather I have been and still are involving with churches for over a quarter of a century.
I agreed with you that commenting is not more effective than rolling up our sleeve and doing something about what we saw and that is exactly what I am doing at this very moment.
Churches are upon my heart since they are upon God's heart as well.
When I made those comments, it is not easy at all and it hurts.
I am sure you are one of those who also roll up your sleeve and help (or I should say serve), let's continue to do so.
If we do nothing, nothing is going to happen, no matter how little or limited our efforts are, we should offer them with our best.