Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The dance

"We played the flute, but you did not dance..." Matthew 11:17

This morning one of my staff member handed me an interesting document. It was the script from the speech that she gave at her daughter's wedding. Knowing that I have a public speaking background, she wanted to share it with me and hear what I think of it.

It was a moving speech. At the time, her husband had passed away already and so in a way she was speaking for both of them. The speech made reference to a picture of her husband dancing with their daughter. I asked her about the picture and her eyes began to moist. She told me that at the wedding, they prominently displayed a picture of her late husband dancing with their daughter at her grade 8 graduation party. At the time, she made sure that she took a good picture of them dancing, because she knew her husband would likely not live long enough to dance with their daughter at her wedding (he was quite a bit older).

As a father of a beautiful little girl, I have often thought about that day. I have wondered if I will live long enough to dance with her. My staff's speech reminded me that's not important. What IS important is whether I hear the music today and dance with her while I still can. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Who knows if I will get to dance with my little girl at her wedding someday. But I can live today, and each day, giving myself to her in such a way that even if I am not there to dance when that day comes, she can say, "It's okay. I danced with my daddy already."

"Hope is the ability to hear the music of tomorrow;
but faith is having the courage to dance to it today."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was away for a couple of weeks and missed a couple of your posting. I can sense that you are doing well but you are also struggling on.

I don't want to add any comment to your path of life but I just want to encourage you to move on and make good use of today.

Deep inside my heart, I felt that we need people like you to tell us what is real and what is not. As I shared with one church that most lies are being told in a church, I didn't regret I said that because to certain degree, it is true. The reason we don't acknowlege that is because we didn't even realize that we are telling lies.

You are dumping your books, trophy into the garbage bin but I sincerely hope that you are strong in creating a future that is right not only in your own eyes but also in the eyes of the creator. It is those "creature" that betray or hurt you and your family but not the creator. Be loyal to Him and continue to be used by Him in different ways.

I felt sad too when I read about you dumping the trophy from the church, it is indeed sad. There are many fellow workers who are living the life like you more than a year ago and they are waiting to be rescued, hope that you will help them someday somehow in the near future so that they don't have to go through what you went through before.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alfred,
Ken Foo here...it has been a very long time...could you send me a email to - pastorkenfoo@gmail.com - I'd like to re-connect with you. Blessings.