Thursday, January 29, 2009

feeling heavy....

Tomorrow I have an important presentation to make in efforts to secure funding for our agency. All day long, even though the staff was nervous about it, they tried not to bother me so I can focus on preparing for it. From my office, I could hear them working hard outside: Taking phone calls from people with all kinds of different needs and pointing them to the right services. New immigrants coming in asking for help. Talking to people who want to volunteer and sending them to the suitable volunteering opportunities. I couldn't help but be touched by them. They work for low pay and practically non-existent benefits. They have not had a raise in almost 8 years. Yet they toil quietly, without recognition and sometimes without appreciation, simply because they want to help make another person's life a little easier.

Hearing them work from within my office, I feel a heavy burden on my shoulders. Even though I have very little emotional stake in the organization, I feel a tremendous responsibility for the staff. I only hope I will be successful in our fund development efforts, not just to keep an agency going, but so these wonderful people can continue to make a difference in the community, one person at a time, one phone call at a time. I hope I can do my best tomorrow...for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Help is only a short prayer away... :) Cheers!