Wednesday, July 15, 2009

new thought on 'healing'...

Just came back from a wonderful lunch with my pastor (at Burger King, of all places!! More proof that it is the company rather than the food that makes the dining experience worthwhile :). During our time together I had one of those moments where I heard myself saying something and then thinking, "Damn!! That was good! Gotta write it down quick." So...here we are :)

My pastor asked me, "How is your healing process coming along?" I thought for a while and then I uttered the following profound statement: (Which, if I had lived 2,000 years ago, I am quite sure would've made it into the New Testament Canon :)

"I am slowly learning that healing happens not so much when you notice an absence of pain, but rather when you develop the perspective to see how the injury fits into the story that is your life, and then you learn to embrace that pain so that it's part of your story moving forward."

So...there you go. Another one for the "Alfred-ism" folder. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alfred, if this is truly how you look at healing, I congratulate you. You have discovered the truth of real living.

There is no painless life. God does not take pain away, but if you give it to Him, through Jesus the pain will be transformed into something positively wonderful. You will still feel the hurt, when you backslide and focus on your old self. But God wants you to move forward with the strength He give you from the pain He had transformed just for you. You are now an improved creation than your old self.

May God bless you and your family, and guide you forward in your transformation.