Friday, January 25, 2008

Reflection (4): Brokenness...

Mother Teresa once said "You will never know Jesus is all you need, until Jesus is all you have."

I have been thinking about that quote a lot lately.

How often have we been guilty of telling the world that "Jesus is all you need!" When we have never, not once, allowed ourselves to remotely come close to a place in life where Jesus is all we have? In fact, don't most of us direct our lives, our studies, our careers, our financial planning to avoid ending up in a situation where "Jesus is all we have"?

But, as part of the evangelical church culture, we do this sort of thing all the time. We speak about things that we have no business speaking on:

We declare forgiveness without knowing the pain of being offended.

We pronounce judgement on people without ever spending 5 minutes in their shoes.

We promise to embrace all people in our community without really knowing how difficult it can be...is it any wonder that people who are most difficult to "embrace" usually would not touch the church with a ten foot pole?

We really should stop saying those things. Really.

Because, with all due respect, we don't know what we are talking about.

Recently I discovered something about myself: I am deeply flawed.

(I know some of you find that VERY hard to believe..."You mean, he is not perfect? Oh, say it ain't so! For the love of God, say it ain't so!")

I am not just talking about having a couple of annoying habits ("Would you PLEASE stop leaving your socks all over the place??") or some less than ideal, but "safe" shortcomings ("I don't spend nearly enough time in prayer."). Rather, I am talking about being flawed and broken and corrupted and polluted at the core of my being. That I am capable of things that I never thought possible.

This new "appreciation" of my own brokenness has led me to a startling realization: As a Christian, it is much easier to talk about how God's grace is all YOU need when I have never been in a situation where God's grace is all I have. I would tell people to "receive" or "accept" God's grace in Jesus in much the same fashion that a doctor would instruct a patient to take two asprins and call him in the morning.

It is simple. It is easy.

I now know that only those who have never really confronted their own brokeness and ugliness, and thus have never really needed grace would talk about grace being simple and easy to accept.

You can always figure out who they are. One word betray their identity. That favorite word in the evangelical dictionary: "Just"

"Just believe it."

"Just accept it."

Those who have been to that pit where they have stared at their own brokenness know very well that when you are at that place where you really, really need grace, there is nothing "just" about it...

You do not "just" believe because you once did, and you really don't know if you want to do it anymore.

You do not "just" accept it because there are things that you are angry and bitter about, and like Job in the Bible, you want your day in court. With God and with others.

For all my life, my favorite verse in the entire Bible is "My grace is sufficient for you..." I quoted it often for others in speech and in writing. I tossed it around like croutons in a salad. Only now do I know how heavy a statement that is...when I struggle with my need for grace. When I wonder and doubt if grace truly is sufficient.

I have now learned I should stop pronouncing grace as if it is the easy magic pill that will solve all your problems.

May be our Jewish brothers and sisters have it right when they refuse to speak aloud the name of God. Because certain things are truly best left unsaid, partly because they are sacred.

And partly because we truly, truly do not know what we are talking about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, we have taken God's name lightly and in vain many times including God's grace, God's forgivenss wrongly.

There are still "scribes and Pharisees" as in Jesus time.

I still remember in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "You have heard, but I tell you...." Are we teaching the truth as it is or are we teaching our truth as we like?

It is so easy to be blind because we want to go the easy way, just say "just", isn't that much easier.

I also recall from the book of Revelation, God asked churches to think and to repent but I guess those are two things that we want to avoid at all costs.

Regarding brokenness, regarding the dark side of our life, isn't that true that we have two natures in us according to the Biblical teaching, if so, why do we ignore the other side.

I have to admit that I have thoughts that I don't even believe I am capable to have; I have to admit that I have done things that I don't even believe it is me who did them.

Up to now, I began to understand more, a little bit more how wicked I am, how wicked I can be and the meaning of undeserved grace.

As I stood on the pulpit and preach the Holy Word of God, I knew that I don't deserve, I knew that it is by the blood of Jesus that I am saved, I knew that we are all sinners....

We have received the amazing grace from God but how many of us realized what is the meaning of Amazing. For many years, I thought that I "deserved" it because I "simply" accepted Jesus, therefore, I "should" have it.

Our brokenness help us to realize how "amazing" the grace is that we have received.

Many are already broken but we just don't realize or admit it. We still pretend we are holy and perfect, just like the scribe and Pharisees.

May God haver mercy on us!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for posting that alfred!

Anonymous said...

Your posting reminds me this U2 song.

Grace, she takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace...
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that, changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma, karma
She travels outside... of karma

When she goes to work, you can hear the strings
Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace...
She carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings...
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace finds beauty in everything